For over 20 years, Long Beach Organic (LBO) has transformed vacant city lots into beautiful organic urban gardens for the community. From the bustling downtown area to the north side of town, LBO has provided a space for residents to produce local and sustainable food. There are currently nine community gardens operated by the non-profit throughout the city of Long Beach; growing plentifully and steadily, with the help of committed volunteers. With our support, the LBO gardens will continue to be successful.
There are many ways to help; here are a few:
- Join LBO as a Gardener/Volunteer – If you’ve ever wanted to have your own fruit and vegetable garden, but never had the space, this may be the perfect solution. Garden plots are rented on a six month basis and can be waitlisted if the lot is full. The fee is minimal compared to the joyous experience of gardening and the various resources LBO provides. Not a green-thumb type of person? You can help behind the scenes with everything from fundraising, grant writing, garden development and more.
- Attend LBO Events – From the EARTH TALKS Speaker Series to their signature Garden Tour and Wine Tasting event, LBO offers many exciting activities and opportunities for learning.
- Make a Donation – Monetary donations are always welcome. LBO accepts donations directly from their website. All major credit cards are accepted and via secure PayPal option.
- Help Acquire Garden Space – Do you have the perfect spot for a garden or know someone who does? Contact the organization to inquire about transforming a vacant lot.
- Join the Mailing List – Be in the know of the many LBO happenings and share the news!
To learn more about Long Beach Organic, visit www.LongBeachOrganic.org Happy Gardening!